Ethnography and the Learning Environment

Fall 2012

"Systematic observation of a specific learning environment. Examination of classroom discourse and the development and analysis of curriculum. Assessment of the effect social context and relationships have on the enactment of teaching and learning." -Course Description

This course was focused on field work outside of the Hamilton classroom. Each student was placed in a classroom around the Utica, New Hartford, and Clinton, New York areas. I was placed at the Clinton Central Middle School in the 8th grade math classroom. After getting a feel for the classroom and using the book "Observation Skills for Effective Teaching" by Gary D. Borich, as a basis of how to observe in a classroom, we chose specific topics we wanted to focus on to write an ethnography. I chose to focus on what the key to student engagement in the classroom was. My question that I proposed in my paper was: "Is the use of instructional variety and the use of active participation factors in what lead to enhanced student engaged learning time?" After using my field notes and other sources such as, "Promoting Student Engagement. Volume 1: Programs, Techniques and Opportunities" by Richard L. Miller and "Active Participation: Ensuring Student Engagement. Polar Oceans Beyond Penguins and Polar Bears" by Tracey Allen, I came to this conclusion: "Although it is not conclusive to state that a couple factors that lead to student engagement are the use of instructional variety and active participation in the classroom, research does support that fact that there is a correlation between these factors and engagement." 

After this class I came out with a clearer vision of what I want my classroom to look like, how I want my students to feel when they walk into the classroom, and the methods I will use to engage my students in each lesson. Putting in the effort as a teacher to make your classroom inviting is a way to get students to want to be in your classroom and feel comfortable to learn and share ideas. Also, the balance of strictness vs. warmth, Borich talks about in his book, is very key in every classroom and school. Throughout my many school visits and interviews, this balance was always at the top of my list to look for while observing different classrooms. Lastly, even though it was not conclusive I still strongly believe that through instructional variety and active participation students will succeed and achieve more. 

The full paper can be found in the link below.